Sunday, May 17, 2009

I am home in California and thought I would recap the last couple of days.

The show went really well on Friday. Horst and I work together very well, and it was fun to work with him.
We were both doing really well until the breakout sessions in the afternoon. Then it was really hard to stay awake.
I would be on the verge of falling asleep and would stand up and hope that it would fix the problem, and then I would find myself falling asleep while standing there. It was really brutal, but we made it through and loaded out the equipment and then had a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant in the square.

The next morning we took a cab over to the Antwerp Central train station and got on a 7:47 am train to Brugge, Bruges Bruge, or Brugges. We have not figured out the official spelling. Apparently, Brugge is the Flemish way to spell it, so thats what I am going for.

About an hour and 20 minutes later we landed in Brugge, and took a bus to the downtown area. Brugge is such a cool place. It is one city that was not bombed out, and it is just gorgeous.
We wandered the streets, and took tons of photos. It started to rain, so we ducked into a little cafe and had some coffee, and cokes.
I strolled across the street to a little store and bought an umbrella. Then everyone else wanted one as well, so we all got hooked up with cheap umbrellas just in time for the rain to stop.

We bumped into a shop that sold gifts and accessories and it was called "LaRose"

Check out this shot larger

We walked around further and found another restaurant and all decided that we wanted to get lunch. The place we ate at was really great. I had Mussels and Filet Mignon. It was pretty good living!

After lunch, we were all starting to fade a bit. The jet lagg was starting to creep up again, as well as the stress from the week, and we decided to take a canal ride.
The ride was really fun and we got to see a very different view of Brugge. After the ride, it started to rain like cats and dogs. So, the umbrellas worked out perfect.

We hopped on the train and everyone passed out on the way back to Antwerp. Once we got to the train station we shot some more photos of the station, and then we went to Ricks hotel for a drink.

It felt as though it was about 5:30 pm, but really it was about 9:00 pm so, we called it a night and headed back to our hotel.

All in all, Brugge was amazing! I want to go back someday and shoot more photos when it is sunny.
I hope you enjoy the ones I captured.

The plane ride home today was uneventful and went pretty smoothly. I am not sure I could have handled another ride like the one on the way out there without going postal on someone.

The Plane 365-131


Michael S. said...

Great work Steve. I love the slide show from Flickr. Is that easy to do? I guess you just copy the code somehow? Anyway, nice to see the shots. I was in Brugge, Brugges, Brugga, Bruge, .... whatever.....a few years ago (I guess 17 to be exact!) Hope to head out with ya'll again someday :)

Rick L said...

Nice shots Steve. Glad you got home without being escorted off by the Air Marshals!

Thanks again!