Monday, November 3, 2008

Learning the Yamaha LS9

This morning I woke up, wide awake at 3:42 am. I got on the computer a little, and then fell asleep again from 6:00 am to 7:00 am. I went down around 7:30 am and met the client who had just arrived from the airport. I got some breakfast and then went to the ballroom to tackle my challenge for the day. The Yamaha LS9.

This console is really cool. It is the baby brother to the Yamaha M7CL which thanks to a guy named Mike Apple, I got pretty comfortable on while I was in North Carolina.
I have never used this console, so I didn't know really how the menu structures were set up, and it was a little daunting.
When someone flies you half way around the world, and you know full well, that you have never used the equipment you are supposed to run, well... one might say that it is a recipe for disaster.

When I entered the ballroom, our AV company was already hard at work. I met a guy named Kaev (I am sure that spelling is completely wrong) and he spoke English pretty well, but not like talking to an American. So, we started conversing about the way I wanted things setup, and so far so good. I was able to give him answers to all his questions, and I was hoping he was going to be able to give me the answers I was going to need.

We got the Sound Board powered up and I dove in head first, Asked a few questions, and Kaev answered them and showed me a few little tricks that made my life a lot easier. I settled into the Digital Console mindset and after about an hour, realized that I was having a great time. Learning, playing, tweaking, learning some more. Next thing I knew it was about 1:30 and I was HUNGRY!

So, we went to lunch, and after I wolfed down some food, I scooted out early to get back to the ballroom so I could play some more. It was a relatively quiet time in the ballroom because the lighting guys were at lunch too, so they weren't rolling around in the lift making a ton of noise.

After tweaking the EQ's, I got to crank up some of my favorite music, and it sounds pretty good!

Now that everything is hooked up, routed properly, and tested, there is a big weight off my shoulders.
Life is good in the Corporate Theater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How many times did you press the screen after running the M7? Run Studio editor in VMWare on your mac and you can drive that little guy anywhere you want it. Miss you around here. MA