Saturday, March 28, 2009

LAX To Madrid

We arrived at the hotel in LA to find that the loading area into the hotel was about 20 feet from the entrance to the ballroom that we were setting up in. That was a pleasant surprise! As my equipment was unloaded off the trailer, I realized that I forgot to pack the speaker stands. Speaker stands cost about $99 to purchase, and there had to be a guitar center around pretty close, so I wasn't too worried. I also knew that the AV company in the hotel, PSAV would have 4 that I could rent. So, although I was not happy with myself, I wasn't worried.

I talked to the hotel and sure enough, they had four available. They want $35 each for them. I was pretty surprised. I expected them to be about $15 each. No choice.. no problem.
They delivered them and while I was setting up, I came across 2 speaker stands that Eric had trucked up, so I was able to send two back to the hotel. I went to talk to the AV Manager and ask for a better price, but he was too busy. Great PSAV service right there huh? His AV technician came back and told me point blank, that he was too busy, but that he said if I wanted I could pay $25 each.
Of course I took the deal, but everyone should be aware that when you use Hotel AV companies, customer service is severely in short supply.


Allen was a huge help and set up all the Microphones and cabling while I setup the console and speakers. we didn't have any equipment problems at all, so after everything was checked, we had a nice family dinner at a mexican restaurant with everyone and then called it a night.

This morning Allen took me to LAX to catch a flight to Madrid. We planned for a full hour to get to the airport, and it ended up taking about 15 minutes. You can never really figure out LA traffic though. The other night going through Pasadena, it took 50 minutes to go 8 miles.

So, all is well, I am excited to get this trip over with and just be in Madrid. Tomorrow should be a lot of fun wandering around the city with Evan.

No comments: