Saturday, December 20, 2008

19 hours of Travel

The plan was to get to Albany at 10:26 pm, grab my bags and rush to the rental car place which closed at 11:00 pm and then drive 2 hours to hang with Rick.

As I was boarding the plane in DC at 9:15, the Pilot came out and stopped everyone saying that there was a mechanical issue and that they were checking to see if they had the part.

There went the 34 minute window I had to get my rental car. I just knew that I wasn't going to make it, so I hopped on and booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn at the Airport in Albany.
Then I realized that if they didn't have the part for the airplane, this flight was going to be canceled until the morning, and then I had just wasted the money on the hotel room in Albany.
I felt like I just couldn't win.
Then the agent came on the PA system and announced that she needed to board the plane, the maintenance staff had found the part and were installing it.
That was a relief.

So, I got to Albany and by the time I arrived in Baggage Claim, it was about 5 minutes to 11:00 pm. I didn't end up with my luggage till about 11:30. I went outside to wait for the hotel shuttle and thought I was in another world. It was 10 degrees and snowing... there was about 9-10 inches already on the ground and I haven't felt cold like this in a long time!
Fortunately the shuttle was quick and I got to the hotel and was in bed shortly thereafter.

This was the view out of my window.

Frozen Albany LR

This morning I woke up and went to get on the hotel shuttle to go back to the airport and found that the hotel shuttle had a flat tire. Long story short, they called me a cab and I got to the car rental place and got my Dodge Caliber All Wheel Drive car and soon I was headed down the Thruway.

I arrived at Ricks place around noon and we went to Belleayre and skied all afternoon. It was nice to get out there and ski some fresh snow.
This is a shot from Belleayre's website of a photo from today.


Rick and I had a great time hanging together, but I had to leave so, I said good bye and drove back down from the mountains and arrived home just in time to go out for some good old NY Pizza.


No comments: