Saturday, June 7, 2008

Trying to get out of Philly

The show went well, other than the back up video deck not wanting to accept the tapes. Details!
The hotel had asked us if we could clear out the front of one of the sections of our two ballrooms so they could start setting up a screen and sound system at 6:00 pm. Our show broke at about 10 minutes to 4:00pm and the crew worked hard, and we got the whole show struck and in the truck by 6:00 pm The hotel's meeting planner walked in and was pretty much shocked at how much we accomplished in two hours.
Rob had to catch a 4:15 pm car to catch the last flight back to LA, so I was stuck handling the whole thing by myself. It wasn't Rob's fault though, however, that still doesn't mean I am not going to give him grief next time we work together. I suppose it is payback for me having to walk out on Eric G. in Boca last month for the same reason.

I struck all the Conference Mics, and packed them up. Then I struck all of Ricks gear and labeled everything and prepared the shipment for a FedEx Pickup on Monday to Boston.

Staging Horizons was on time and did a great job for us. Our Camera Op, Dennis was really a great guy to work with, so all in all the show went really good and the client was very pleased. This is the same client and show that we are doing in Brussels so it was important to give them a high level of comfort on this first event.

I am now sitting in the airport wondering at what time they are going to tell me that my 11:40 am departure is delayed. It is a bit foggy, and there already have been at least 4 delays and gate changes since I got here about 45 minutes ago.

One more thing, A friend that I have known for years, and is someone I have looked up to in the industry since I started back when I was about 22, reads my blog faithfully, and comments all the time on my posts. Here is the latest comment that he wrote about us not getting the files from the client until the last minute.

michael steighner said...
Another episode of "Getting worked in the Corporate Theatre"

I'm just waiting for a presenter to casually flick a usb stick over the set oneday on his way to the lecturn live during the show. This move would be accompanied with a soft mumble that kind of sounds like "could you load up my presentation now please?"

June 6, 2008 2:03 PM

Mike also writes a blog about his photo adventures. His work is absolutely stunning and I am very jealous of his talent and the way his eye see light.


Take a gander at his photos, and don't forget to comment on some of his posts. As bloggers, it is the only way we know you are out there reading our rants, and we really appreciate the occasional comment!

PERFECT!!!! They just gave us an update about flight #3799 to Greensboro. Cancelled... And I thought I was just going to get delayed... Such short sightednesson my part! The line is about 50 people deep, and I have a feeling today is going to be a long one!

I finally got to the counter, and the gate agent, looked at me.. answered the phone, set that phone down, called someone on another phone, and then got up and left. She never said a word to me. Two full lines of people waiting to try to make other flights, and there was now, only one agent at the counter. There were three at first, but I think the first one decided to go on lunch break.

I stood there for a good 15 minutes while agent #2 was gone, and then finally, strolling casually down the concourse, I saw her. She came back to the desk, and mumbled something incoherent. I asked her what she said, and she glared at me and snapped, "WHAT CAN I HELP YOU WITH?" At that moment I snapped... I jumped up on the counter, and screamed... "DON"T SNAP AT ME YOU USELESS, PATHETIC LOSER!" Ok, so I didn't.. I just shook my head and told her that my flight was cancelled. it was tempting to be mean, but it is not her fault, that she hates her life, her job, and her existence. I mean... it is not her fault that she is no good at what she does, and should be shoveling garbage at the back end of the local Taco Bell.

But I digress....

I had looked up on the internet what flight options I had, and there was a 3:00 pm flight, so when she told me the next flight was at 4:12 pm, I asked if there was a 3:00 pm flight.

Again, she snapped... "No Seats!"

I shouldn't be surprised... I mean, this is not my first airport rodeo....

I just took the abuse and didn't respond.
So, now I am confirmed on the 4:12 pm flight. It is going to be a long day.


Michael S. said...

Hey, thanks for the mention Steve. Love your posts. Makes all my travels seem so easy! Your a great and entertaining story teller. Safe travels. C U in Boston!

Sharon La Rose said...

Hi, Steve,

You've proven your ability as a writer. I love reading your blog and enjoy keeping up with you and all the shenanigans you go through at airports. Love, Mom