Monday, May 5, 2008

Back from Florida


I went to the front of the hotel and asked a Valet for a taxi to the airport, and he just looked at me and said, " I can't help you" you need to go talk to the transportation desk. So, I went inside... had to wait till this guy finished his personal phone call. He didn't actually hang up the call... just put the caller on hold. Then after I asked for a taxi, he picked the call back up and told them he had to call them back.
Already bad service. The valet could have just gone in and told the guy to call a taxi for a guest... but that was not his job, and he made sure to let us know that we were asking the wrong person. Then, the guy behind the transportation desk on the phone with a personal call. How do I know he was on a personal call? Well... "Later Dude" is probably not the Boca Raton Resort and Club's policy on how to finish a business call.

So,  I ask for a taxi to the airport, and the guy asks what time my flight is. I tell him, but just wishing I could get someone to say no problem, right away. I am only asking for a taxi....
So, he picks up his nextel, and direct connects someone... I am hoping it is the taxi dispatcher, but overhearing an entirely too loud cell conversation, I hear it is a driver.
He tells me that the "Driver" will be here in 10 minutes.
I say "Driver?" he says yes. I say "Is that a Taxi?" he says.. "No, a Driver" I ask how much it is going to cost, and he tells me without blinking an eye. $96.60 
My cab from the airport was $66.00 
Now, I am livid. I looked him right in the eye, and said, "I don't want a "Driver" I asked you for a taxi, a metered taxi" He just looks at me with blank eyes, and then makes one last attempt to rip me off. He says "Well, sir, that may take between 5 and 20 minutes" 
I say "Thats fine.. just get me a taxi" 

I just can't believe how many people that they overcharge by pulling this racket, and they just think it is ok. 
The taxi showed up in about 5 minutes, and the driver was a great guy, nice to chat with and he informed us that the transportation desk guy would get fired if he accepted kick backs from limo companies. Not worth my time.. but tempting.

I guess I have to apologize to the slime bag valets at Disney who do the same racket, They aren't the only ones who are ripping people off, and if I somehow in my first blog implied that they were the only ones, I sincerely apologize to them. I would feel bad if I hurt there feelings.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another fine chapter in Steve's collection of sub standard service situations. The dark cloud follows you arround just waiting to open up at any moment!